Sunday, January 13, 2008

"Sleep" Reflection - Period 6


You have a different type of blog assignment this week.
Rather than finding an article on which to reflect, I want you to listen to their radio program called Radio Lab. This episode is all about sleep and what it does for living organisms.
You can listen to the episode here. If you prefer, you can download the episode as well.

Once you have listened to it, you will put together a reflection. Your reflection should try to answer the following questions:

  • What did you learn about sleep that you didn't already know?
  • How does sleep help maintain homeostasis?
  • How is sleep related to memory?
  • What really struck you as cool or strange (or both)? Why?
  • How did you like listening to the story rather than reading it? Was it easier or harder? What did you like about it?
  • How did the reporters use humor to tell their story? Did it make the story more interesting?
  • What would you like to know more about from what you heard?
If you click here, you can get an overview of the episode.

I really look forward to your reflections.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WNYC New York Public Radio
Sleep
I never knew that all animas sleep because I can’t imagine a bird or fish sleeping. What I leaned too is that most animals can sleep with half of the brain and use the other side of the brain. Sleep maintains homeostasis by regaining energy. I think it’s like recharging a battery. Sleeping is connected to memory because when you sleep you are like empting the post it notes which are your memories. I think it’s weird that we are one of the few animals that can’t use half of the brain when we sleep. Like the radio guy said, “Maybe were the weird ones”.
I did not like listening to it. It was a lot harder to do because you can’t look at the text and go back to the text. It also got boring listening to them talks about sleep. It was funny listening some times because of the background sounds. For example I think it was a baby or something interrupting the person talking. I would like to know more about how the people record the brain waves and the equipment they use.

Anonymous said...

I learned a bunch of things about sleep that I didn’t know before. Well—I had no idea about all that stuff about how electrical waves wash over all the connections you made that day. I think that is so cool. It’s like taking a refreshing shower and waking up “clean”.
Well, what I got from the episode about sleep and homeostasis is that if you don’t get enough of it, (sleep) then your cells clog up with proteins and your body can’t function as well. So obviously your body isn’t maintaining homeostasis if it isn’t getting enough sleep.
Sleep is like a replay of what happened that day. Oh yeah—also what I said at the top too. The electrical waves wash over you and sort of clean out your brain. That way the louder, or more important connections, stay and the softer, or less important connections, are erased. It’s kind of like volume control.
I liked listening to the episode because it was different than just reading an article but I’m very visual so it’s actually faster and easier for me to read something.
The reporters did use humor to make the story more interesting and it worked. They used sarcasm and often made silly comments about what they were talking about—which in fact made it easier to understand sometimes.
OK—what I want to know more about. Well, I want to know why it is that some people, like me, don’t remember a lot if any dreams they had. I don’t remember having a single dream for like a year. I also would like to know why it is that problems you had during the day seem to so much worse when you dream about them. And finally, the reporters said a few things about dreams that I kind of disagree with. Like when I have dreams what I remember is usually not very vivid or detailed at all, and usually doesn’t have color. Actually, all my dreams usually are is my thinking things and seeing small pictures of what I am thinking more than like watching a movie or something. Why is that?

Anonymous said...

sorry-- this is GeorgeWashington12
I can't get in because it keeps saying password but the comment above called anonymous is me! my bad.